Today it rained from dawn until dusk. It was a cozy sound and gave excuse to stay in and have some much-needed rest. The rain was very welcome, as far as I was concerned, and here’s why:
- The alternative (something whiter that isn’t outside of the realm of possibility for a January day in the North) is much more of a nuisance.
- Violet thoroughly enjoyed herself playing outside in it. She donned her rainsuit, a glorious invention, and spent the better part of an hour out there. When she came back in, she exclaimed, “I loved it!” and instructed me to make her some tea.
- I got to finish Bill Bryson’s book A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail– one of my favorite Christmas presents. Thank you, Inlaws.
- Jonathan cleaned out a huge clutterfest that was our closet. At day’s end, he had bags for goodwill and other bags for the recyling bins. Go minimalism.
- We watched a slideshow from our summer. I love you, summer.
- I painted Violet’s nails violet and she then painted my toenails 3 different colors. They look amazing and it makes me happy to look at them.
- At one point, Violet looked out the window and said, “The sun did not shine, it was too wet to play…” which is a quote from Dr. Seuss’ The Cat in the Hat, which means, blessedly, that all that reading to her has mattered.
- I had several cups of vanilla sleepytime tea. Any day that I’m able to have tea tends to feel indulgent. It’s a stopping-to-smell-the-roses sensibility and feels really good. The English are on to something.
Soggy sand and soil drinking it all up,